Friday, April 6, 2012

Fruit Swap

The theme of the swap, put together by atasteofhomecooking, this time around was fruit. Your recipe could be sweet, savory, have any type of fruit, made in any matter. I received Strawberry Sour Cream Pie from Kate over at katesrecipebox. I was very curious about this recipe. Usually I'm very anti sour cream, it's one of those things that I'd really like to enjoy, but just can't. I was excited to see how it would turn out in a pie!

One downside about making this recipe was that this is not the time of year to get quality strawberries. I bought some at a local market and it only took eating one to return them to the store. Blech! Thankfully I was able to get some nice ones the next day, and I set out to make the pie:).

Strawberry Sour Cream Pie


You will need:

  • 1 prepared pie crust
  • 1 quart fresh strawberries
  • 1 cup flour
  •  1 1/4 cup sugar, reserve 1 tbsp
  • dash salt
  • 1 cup sour cream, not non fat
Pre heat oven to 450 degrees. Hull and wash the strawberries and cut them in half, set them aside. Sift the flour, sugar and salt in large mixing bowl. Add sour cream, blending until creamy. 


Gently fold in the strawberries.


Pour mixture into the pie shell and spread around, without packing down. There should be spaces throughout the filling. Take the tbsp of sugar and sprinkle over top.


Bake the pie for ten minutes, and then reduce heat to 350 degrees (keep the door open for a minute to allow the temp to drop). Bake for an additional 30 minutes, or until the crust has browned.


Broil the pie for 2-3 minutes to allow the top to brown. Unfortunately my broiler does not work, so I wasn't able to do this step. Instead, I let the pie cool completely and then I made some whipped cream and piped it on top, to hide the paleness hah.


I put it back in the fridge until dinner at my parents. The first bite took me aback. I wasn't sure what to think. It was creamy, it was custardy....it was...delicious!


As you can see, everyone else thought so too. I managed to polish off the leftovers over the next 3 days:).



6 comments:

  1. Glad you enjoyed it! It's even better when strawberries are in season. And, I love the addition of the whipped cream! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for submitting this! I'm glad I received it and got to try something out of the norm for me. I'll definitely make it again!

      Delete
  2. I love the addition of whipped cream to your pie. Looks yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :). There's just nothing quite like homemade whipped cream!

      Delete
  3. This looks delicious-I love Strawberry pie!

    ReplyDelete