Sunday, April 8, 2012

Not Exactly Lard Lad Donuts

I've been wanting to purchase a doughnut pan for awhile now, and the other day at Target I finally got one, it's Nordicware! I was so excited to test it out that as soon as I got home I decided to find a doughnut recipe and make them right away.

Since I've been trying to make better choices when it comes to the foods I'm eating I figured I should try and make doughnuts that weren't full of fat and sugar. Right off the bat I knew baking them would make a difference, as opposed to deep frying them. I found this recipe on Health.com. Of course, they are not the same as a deep fried doughnut. You can't go into making these expecting that. But they were a nice treat, with more of a cakey texture then fluffy doughnut.

Baked Buttermilk Doughnuts


You will need:

  • Nonstick cooking spray
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 cup all purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 3/4 cup low fat buttermilk
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 2 tbsp melted butter
  • 1 tbsp vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Coat pan with nonstick cooking spray.

Combine flours and next four ingredients (through salt) in a medium bowl and whisk together. Combine buttermilk, eggs, honey, butter and vanilla in a bowl, stirring well with a whisk. Add buttermilk mixture into flour mixture; whisk until just combined.

The recipe said to spoon the batter into the pan...yea, don't do that.  I spooned the batter in for the first batch and it just doesn't get a nice rounded look to it, it was kind of bumpy and uneven. Put your batter into a ziplock bag and cut the corner and pipe the batter into the pan until 2/3 full. 

Bake in heated oven til they spring back when touched and are golden brown on the bottom (about 8 minutes). Let cool in pan four a few minutes and turn out. Coat with toppings, if desired.

I dipped half of them with some melted nutella and sprinkles, and the other half I coated with a lemon glaze made of confectioners sugar and fresh lemon juice.


In my opinion, the nutella ones blew the lemon ones out of the water. I'm really looking forward to trying out different recipes! This is a really fun kitchen tool and for only $7!


Yum!


Source: Health.com

Plain Doughnut: 140 calories per serving
Lemon Glaze: 191 calories per serving
Nutella Dipped: approximately 220 calories per serving

The website gives more extensive nutritional information.  



1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh...these WILL be made! I love baked doughnuts!

    ReplyDelete