Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Oatmeal Banana Muffins

I saw a recipe for Oatmeal Banana Bread on a friends pinterest the other day and realized I have all the ingredients, and they sounded really yummy, so I set out to make them today. I changed up the recipe a bit and made muffins instead of a loaf. I actually don't even own a loaf pan...I may need to remedy that soon :).

These muffins are crazy good. The only regret I have is not putting chocolate chips in them. I thought of it right as I was putting the crumb topping on them :(. I'll have to add them in next time, because there will be a next time!

Oatmeal Banana Muffins

You will need:

  • 2 whole, overripe bananas
  • 1 large egg, beaten
  • 3/4 cup fat free milk
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 1/4 cup old fashion rolled oats
  • 1/2 cup plus 1 tbsp packed brown sugar
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • pinch of nutmeg
  • pinch of ginger
  • 1 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
  • 1 tbsp ground flax meal
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

For the topping: In a small bowl, combine 1/4 cup oats, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, pinch of nutmeg, pinch of ginger, 1 tbsp brown sugar and 1 tbsp melted butter. Stir to combine and set aside.

For the muffins: Mash the bananas in a medium bowl, then stir in the milk and egg. Add the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, 1 cup oats, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, pinch ginger, pinch nutmeg and flax meal. This is also where I would have added mini chocolate chips if I was thinking clearly ;). I am saving those for buttermilk scones though...

Pour mixture into 12 lightly greased muffin tins, about 2/3 full, and sprinkle with the topping mixture.

Bake at 350 degrees for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 5 minutes. Run a knife around the edges to make sure they will come out cleanly and let them finish to cool on a rack.


These smell so good and taste even better! They have just enough sweetness from the overripe bananas and brown sugar crumb topping. I really enjoyed them. I quickly added the ingredients into an on-line calorie counter and these come out to be approximately 150 calories, 2 grams of fat and 4 grams of protein per muffin, not to bad!


Source: adapted from Greatist

6 comments:

  1. Those look like the perfect morning kind of muffin! The sort that puts a smile on your face even when your eyes are filled with sleepies! Oh I can imagine the smells!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm planning on one...or two of them being my breakfast tomorrow! Thanks for checking out my blog:)

      Delete
  2. Ally, thanks for letting us taste test, these were awesome! Your sometimes haste in making stuff paid off as the big chunks of banana were extra good! Love ya xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Um I don't know what you're talking about? That was totally intentional:). Really though, I mashed those bananas good! Glad you liked them:).

      Delete
  3. You have a donut pan and every cake decorating tool imaginable but no loaf pan? I'm the reverse, I have the simple stuff but need to branch out into the exciting tools you have. These look delicious and great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know, it's bad! I still have some kitchen things in their boxes...anyone up for a giant doughnut cake? Cause I have a cake pan for that!

    ReplyDelete