Today I decided to make some cholesterol raising, artery blocking, heart attack inducing mac 'n' cheese. It's not really that bad, it could be worse for you.
Macaroni and Cheese
You will need:
- vegetable oil
- kosher salt
- 1 lb elbow noodles
- 1 qt whole milk (4 cups)
- 8 tbsp unsalted butter (divided)
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 12 ounces Gruyere, 4 cups grated
- 8 ounces extra sharp cheddar, 2 cups shredded- I used Yancey's Fancy xxx sharp white cheddar cheese, soooo good:)
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 3/4 lb fresh tomatoes (4 small)
- 1 1/2 cups fresh white bread crumbs- I used panko bread crumbs instead
Slice tomatoes thinly and arrange on top.
Melt remaining butter, combine it with the breadcrumbs, and sprinkle over the top. Bake for 30 or 35 minutes, or until the sauce is bubble and the top is browned on top.
I actually cut this recipe in half when I made it and it worked out just fine. The recipe I put here serves 6-8. Matt and I obviously don't need that much mac 'n' cheese laying around. Well, maybe Matt does, but I don't!
It was easy to halve everything since all the measurements are pretty even, nothing to obscure that requires too much math:).