Saturday, December 10, 2011

Bon Appetit!

This months Bon Appetit magazine is full of cookies to die for. One of my favorite being Meringue Cookies! I made a batch, according to their recipe, although I did half peppermint and half plain.

Peppermint Meringues


You will need:

  • 3 large egg whites, room temperature
  • 1/8 tsp kosher salt
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup powdered sugar
  • 1/8 tsp peppermint extract
  • red food coloring
Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Using an electric mixer, beat egg whites and salt until white and foamy, about 1 minute on high. With mixer running, add the sugar in three additions, beating for 2 minutes in between each addition. Beat until firm peaks form, about 2-3 minutes longer. Add powdered sugar and peppermint extract and beat to blend. (I held off on adding the peppermint extract in order to do half of them plain.)

Spoon meringue into a pastry bag fitted with a 1/2 inch tip. Twist top; pipe 1 inch rounds onto prepared baking sheet.

Once I did half of the meringue, I then added the peppermint extract (a little less then1/8 tsp) and blended it. I took a clean paint brush and painted stripes up the sides of a new pastry bag. If you don't want to do this you can just put a couple drops of coloring into the bowl and swirl it, but not blend.


Fill the bag with the remaining meringue and continue piping your 1 inch rounds onto the baking sheet. Makes about 60. Bake meringues until dry, about 2 1/2 hours. Let cool completely, about 1 hour (meringues will crisp as they cool).


They can be made 2 days ahead. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.


These cookies are great for a sweet, low calorie and fat free treat! You don't have to feel to bad about eating one, and then 6 more:).


3 comments:

  1. I've always been scared to try to make meringues but that seems pretty easy. How creative you are with the red stripe, good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bombed my first 2 batches of meringue cookies I ever made. But it turned out that I didn't have a very good recipe. Also, I was like 12...hmm what other excuses can I come up with?:)
    I actually have another recipe that I like maybe a little tiny bit more then this one. I found it interesting that there wasn't any cream of tartar in this recipe. I've also never put half granulated sugar and half powdered. But it worked out great so no biggie I guess.
    The red stripe but was mainly for cuteness but also helps to tell the peppermint ones from the plain ones, Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meringues are one of Allison's specialties now, she makes them all the time!! Love how these melt in your mouth, delish!

    ReplyDelete