Thursday, December 29, 2011

I Have To Share This!

I made this meal last week and it took everything I had to not inhale it because I loved it so much! I got the recipe from Wegmans. They were featuring it in their stores by the seafood section and I went on-line to get the recipe in full. The original called for Cod but the price per lb. of Cod was a bit steep for me, so I went with Tilapia instead. I also omitted the sauce that they called for in the recipe and was glad that I did, I feel like it would have masked the flavor of the fish and prosciutto, which in my opinion is flavor enough.

Pan-Seared Prosciutto-Wrapped Tilapia


You will need:

  • 4 slices prosciutto
  • 2 fresh sage leaves
  • 2 fillets tilapia (about 6 oz each)
  • pepper
  • pan searing flour
  • olive oil
  • butter 
  • garlic
Lay 2 slices of prosciutto on clean working surface. Place sage leaf on each and place fish on top. Wrap the prosciutto around the Tilapia and use your second slice of prosciutto to cover over the top and overlap on the sides. Dust both sides with pan-searing flour.

Heat olive oil in a pan on medium-high heat. Add Tilapia packet, sage leaf side down. Turn over when Tilapia has changed color one quarter of the way up and seared side has turned paper bag brown, about 5 minutes.

Reduce heat to medium and cook about 4 minutes longer, until internal temp has reached 120 degrees. Add one tbsp butter,  1 tsp parsley and 1 tsp minced garlic to pan and swirl around. Baste for 1-3 minutes until internal temp reaches 130 degrees.

Transfer to clean platter and let rest for 2 minutes before serving.

Source: Wegmans

Every time I buy prosciutto I end up using only half of a package and I end up tossing the rest because it never gets used. I was determined to not let that happen this time. I ended up making strip steaks 2 days later and I picked up some asparagus to go with it. Matt is not a huge fan of asparagus but....wrapped in prosciutto, anything tastes good :).


I wrapped the asparagus in bunches of two and drizzled them with some olive oil and put some salt and pepper on the ends. Bake them at 400 degrees for 8-10 minutes.


As a bit of a product review, I got this cast iron grill pan at Macy's two weeks ago. It's the Emril 10 inch grill pan. We have a George Foreman that I like to use for burgers and such during the cold weather months, but it doesn't give the meat a nice color and I feel like it doesn't hold the seasoning very well.

This pan worked really great, and it's nice to be able to cook the meat on high heat to get a nice browned crusty outside and then stick the whole thing into the oven and slow cook the middle. At $20 (on sale) you can't go wrong. I think it comes out to $1 per pound hah, this thing is heavy! I finally returned my dutch oven that was recalled and received a gift card for the value, so I was able to get this and a few other things!


Sorry, this picture is really crappy. The food was delicious though- not pictured is the glass of red wine that you have to have with steak, I mean come on! We don't eat steak very often so when we do it tastes extra good :).



No comments:

Post a Comment