Friday, August 5, 2011

Zucchini Muffins: Round 1

There are a lot of vegetables that I don't use on a regular basis...more like at all. So, in an effort to expand my  vegetable use, and do it in a way that isn't completely boring I decided to test out some zucchini bread/muffin recipes.

This first one is on the healthier side. I'm sad to say it, but my brain and my taste buds are not geared for thinking "yummm this is healthy and so delicious!"

I give these a B+. They aren't eyes-roll-back-when-you-take-a-bite awesome, but they're pretty healthy, so what do you expect.
****Edit**** I had one of these the next day for breakfast and I'm bumping it up to an A! I think my problem was eating it warm with butter last night...not a good idea.

Kathie's Zucchini Muffins

You will need:
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 2/3 cup all purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 1/3 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 1/2 cups grated zucchini
  • 1/2 cup fat free milk
  • 2 tbsp canola oil
  • 2 tbsp honey
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 tbsp sugar
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon

Sorry for the crappy pictures, I made this at night and the lighting was particularly awful. One of these days I'll take some time to work on my photography skills. 

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grate zucchini and set aside.


In a large bowl combine the first seven ingredients (through salt), and mix together with a whisk.


In a separate bowl combine the zucchini and next 4 ingredients (through egg) and mix well. Looks yummy huh?:)


Make a well in the center of flour mixture and pour in milk mixture, stirring just until moist. Spray 12 baking cups or line with cupcake liners. Spoon in batter. Mix together sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over top of the muffins. Bake at 400 for 15 minutes.


Remove from pan immediately and cool on a wire rack.


They seem like they'd be good for a mid-morning snack or with some fruit for breakfast. I may freeze them in baggies of two so I can defrost them as I want them.


Look out for Round 2! I'll be making zucchini lemon muffins with not quite so much attention to my caloric intake:):).

No comments:

Post a Comment