Thursday, September 22, 2011

Welcome Fall, Welcome!

I know it's not officially Fall yet but I think the season is to short, so I start it early. Really, I just start it whenever Starbucks decides to start it by bringing back the Pumpkin Spice Latte.

I know there are a lot of Pumpkin Spice haters out there and they're all like "what's the big deal? it's not that good!". But we're not friends:). (just kidding!)

Anyway, I decided to try and make my own at home so I'm not shelling out $3.50 for a PSL every day (no I don't actually have one every day). Here's what I ended up with.

Pumpkin Spice Latte

You will need:

  • 1/3 cup pumpkin puree (canned and not pumpkin pie filling)
  • 1 cup whole milk (you can use any milk really, I just had this on hand)
  • 1/8 tsp vanilla
  • 1/8 tsp ginger
  • 1/8 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon, plus more for spinkle
  • 1 cup strong coffee
  • whipped cream


Combine milk, pumpkin, vanilla, nutmeg, ginger and cinnamon in a small pot. Whisk together over low heat until heated.


Meanwhile, make your coffee. I sort of cheated here and made instant espresso. I was going to use the french press and make coffee but the thought of having to clean the french press changed my mind. I need to dirty as few dishes as possible here people. So anyway I did about 2/3 cup boiling water and a heaping tbsp of instant espresso. Voila!


Once your pumpkin milk is heated through transfer 1 cup of it to a measuring cup. I used our Bonjour Primo Latte Milk Frother and frothed it up. You can also just use a whisk if you want and give it a good last mix.


Pour your coffee into your mug of choice and sweeten to your liking. The pump-milk isn't going to add any sweetness to your drink so you will have to add sugar. Pour the pumpkin milk over top. Add a cinnamon stick just for fun:).


Top it with some whipped cream and a little sprinkle of cinnamon.


Lean in and enjoy the aroma...


The recipe makes enough pump-milk for two drinks so you can either make double the coffee for two drinks, or refrigerate the rest and use it in the next day or so. You can taste the difference between this and a Starbuck PSL for sure, but I think it's in a good way:). It's nice to be able to control your ingredients and how much goes into your drink. You can buy the Pumpkin Spice syrup from Torani and use that but...I'm going to stick with this recipe. It may be more work but it's worth it!

Enjoy! And Happy Fall!

3 comments:

  1. I love pumpkin lattes and am constantly trying out new recipes for them. Ill be giving this a try soon! :) It looks fab btw!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks yummy Ally, I will have the second cup! Now I need a recipe for the rest of the pumpkin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm... I don't drink coffee but this sounds delish!! Loving all things pumpkin right now- you missed pumpkin roll at Aunt Ann's by the way!

    ReplyDelete