Wednesday, January 4, 2012

"C" Is For Cookie

I made these cookies a couple of weeks ago for a get together. There's something you should know about these cookies, they are the first thing I have ever made that were intentionally vegan. Woah! Crazy, I know. It really wasn't hard at all, I just had to sub margarine in for butter. I think it's the simplest vegan cookie recipe on the face of the earth actually.

I didn't mind the flavor but I think it would take me awhile to get used to the taste of margarine and I think I'd always miss butter and have a special little place in my heart for it.

I don't know if people really liked them ha! But when we left the plate only had 2 left, where there had been 20 or so. So if that's any indication then I guess they went over pretty well :).

Pecan Butter Balls


(The name is a bit misleading, wouldn't you say? Pecan margarine balls doesn't sound quite as appetizing though)

You will need:

  • 2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 cup margarine, softened
  • 2 cups chopped pecans
  • 1/3 cup confectioners sugar for decoration
Put cubed margarine, flour, sugar and vanilla in a mixing bowl and combine until the dough has come together. Place on a flat surface and kneed in pecans. Form the dough into a disk, using additional flour if needed. 


Cut in half and roll into 2 logs. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours, or overnight. Afterwards, take it out and cut into 3/4" pieces and roll into balls. Place onto 2 baking sheets, covered in parchment paper. Bake in a preheated 325 degree oven for 25-30 minutes, or until lightly browned and firm to the touch.


When they are cooled, roll them in confectioners sugar and store in an airtight container for up to 5 days. If I made these again I would add some cinnamon and nutmeg, to give them a little more flavor and to mask the margarine taste, for those who aren't used to it.



Source: yummly.com

No comments:

Post a Comment