Tuesday, November 15, 2011

I'm Married to a Serious Carnivore

Therefore, not many of the meals I make don't contain meat. I've made this veggie chili a few times though, and it's gone over pretty well. I've made other veggie chilis and they have not been nearly as good as this one. It's sort of my vegetarian standby. I'm going to try and branch out a bit more to expand my vegetarian repertoire.

Veggie Chili


You will need:

  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 stalks celery, chopped
  • 1 can diced tomatoes
  • 1 can tomato paste
  • 2 cans (tomato paste) of water
  • pinch of cayenne pepper
  • 3 tbsp chili powder
  • 2 tbsp brown sugar
  • 1 can of kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
  • 1 can of black beans (drained and rinsed)
  • 1 cup frozen corn
  • 1 pkg sliced mushrooms
  • 1 medium onion chopped
Heat olive oil in your pot and add onions, celery, mushrooms and garlic. Cook for 5-10 minutes, or until veggies are tender.


Add diced tomatoes, tomato paste, 2 cans water, cayenne pepper, chili pepper and brown sugar. Bring to a simmer and cook for 30-45 minutes.


Add both cans of beans and frozen corn. Bring back to a simmer and cook for an additional 30 minutes.


Top with cheese, sour cream or if you really like to live on the edge-both! We had them with Garden of Eatin' Blue Chips. Go to their website for a $1 off coupon!


As you can tell, it's super simple. Most chili's are I think, but it really is quite good, and very filling.

Source: I've adapted it from a recipe that Janine gave me. It was her Aunts recipe, but I have no idea of it's origin before that.

No comments:

Post a Comment